Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Make Math Moments From A Distance 2-5 – How to Fuel Sense Making From A Distance – Discussion

• Adrianne Burns

July 7, 2020 at 5:36 pm

I’m really thinking a lot about the modeling and creating convincing arguments. These are so important and it takes time to nurture these skills in the classroom. Listening to this part of the webinar pushes my thinking to how this can be done in the virtual environment. I want to think about what resources are best and how to utilize resources students and teachers are already using and familiar with. The workflow for both students and teachers was so overwhelming in the spring. It took the focus off of the math. I am excited to start thinking about how to shift that and create engaging lessons like this virtually.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 12, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Love it! So happy to be helping along that journey!

• Stephanie Moore

July 12, 2020 at 5:22 pm

In fairness to you guys, I realize you had to put this course up in a hurry so it’s not very polished. But it’s kind of like doing the workshop all over again over Zoom and not as much how to do this online. The online pieces are pretty few and far between and especially the asynchronous ideas so it’s not giving me what I was looking for. I’d be really interested if over the summer y’all put together succinctly ideas specifically for doing this asynchronously online.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 12, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Hi Stephanie! We really appreciate your feedback and would love to dig deeper on this to help us best help as many Math Moment Makers as we can.

Can you be specific about which parts you’re struggling to implement asynchronously (and or synchronously)? We’d be happy to try to dive deeper, but before we do, we want to make sure we are hitting the right pain points.

Thanks in advance!

• Regina Dill

July 22, 2020 at 11:37 am

I am getting a lot out of thinking through the process again and envisioning how it will look in this crazy environment. I am also getting a lot out of seeing technology options and being able to think BIG in order to whittle things down to the most valuable for my students.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 23, 2020 at 6:33 am

Beautiful! Keep it simple (or as simple as you can) by using “the” tool(s) that will help you reach your goal(s) rather than trying to use EVERY tool that is out there.

• Christina Marin

August 4, 2020 at 12:46 am

I need to remember to limit the pre-teaching, but sometimes I forget this and it doesn’t help my lesson. I also like the, explain to a parent how it makes sense. I think explaining to a neighbor might be difficult on video teaching unless you do breakout rooms via Zoom.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 4, 2020 at 8:38 am

Limiting pre-teaching is super challenging when we have all done it for so long. But keep it front of mind when planning and that will help!