Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Make Math Moments From A Distance 2-2 – Spark Curiosity Through The Shot Put Task – Discussion

• Colin Hamilton

July 16, 2020 at 11:33 am

This is great and super helpful. I loved getting to see the problem worked through step by step and just the small tips you guys have like mentioning students name. This is empowering.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 21, 2020 at 7:04 am

So glad to hear you’re enjoying it! I have a special place for the Shot Put task and the entire unit in my heart because it took so long to plan and create. It is truly a powerful one!

• Regina Dill

July 22, 2020 at 10:40 am

This is very helpful! I am hoping that giving students voice at a distance through live video chats will really help with all of this!

• Joyce Dunning

August 1, 2020 at 6:03 pm

About how long should this step of sparking curiosity take? I have done notice and wonders in other subjects before and some kids will go on for a very long time.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 3, 2020 at 7:04 am

Early in the process / school year as you build community, it can take a fair bit of time. However, once students begin to understand the process, it is much shorter.

• Daniel Laguerre

August 2, 2020 at 5:52 pm

The Brainigcamp.com number line seems to be an excellent tooll to know and master.

I wonder how this will work in my classroom and what is the purpose of its use besides engagement and accountability?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 3, 2020 at 7:05 am

I find it really helpful for promoting the idea of magnitude of number. Giving students a spatial representation of quantities compared to one another. Such an important idea that often goes overlooked!

• Christina Marin

August 4, 2020 at 12:17 am

I also wonder, what if only a few students participate. I am worried at the beginning of the year, students will be hesitant to share and be vulnerable about their “wrong” answers, especially virtually.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 17, 2020 at 6:45 am

That’s why we would recommend that early in the year (first week especially) selecting very low floor tasks is crucial. Help build the culture first because if the tasks are too challenging right upfront, some students may just sink into their chairs and stay quiet.