Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Algebra 1 curriculum: more time for reasoning Reply To: Algebra 1 curriculum: more time for reasoning

• Holly Blahun

February 2, 2021 at 3:05 pm

I keep telling my kids, “One of these days, you’re going to hear about this lady that revamped the Alberta Math Curriculum and fixed all of its issues. That lady will be me!”

I totally agree that there is A LOT of content, and even if we do have longer in the day to cover content, you’ll notice kids aren’t geared to do hours of math on end. It’s exhausting work turning those math gears in their heads. I run on a quad system, so during a regular in-class (non-COVID) year, I’d have nearly 3 hours of math in either the morning or the afternoon – and kids are totally beat by the end of it. More time in the day is not the answer – curriculum re-design is!

Math needs to be synced up to Science (ex. pH in Science 10 and Chem 20 but logs in Math 12) – but I don’t see myself working for AlbertaEd any time soon. So for now, Jon is right! Big ideas! This year, I’ve tried to cut out examples that are repetitive – show them once (or twice), and let them try more on their own.