Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 2: The True Purpose of Assessment – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 2: The True Purpose of Assessment – Discussion

• Jason Pelletier

January 7, 2021 at 3:03 pm

I get frustrated when we sit around looking at assessment results and data pass the time of learning and not during the learning process. In addition, we do not use the data to form or adapt our teaching to help the students in their process of learning math concepts. The pass few years I have been using assessments for learning more than I ever have and it has been useful. I guess a few things that come to mind and that I am wondering about it how to use those assessments for learning to mold your teaching practices. What if one assessment revealed 50% of the class has mastered the concepts but the other half are struggling? When do you know to move to the next concept without leaving students behind or remaining on the same concept and possibly boring the other students that have mastered the concept.