Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Improving what I don’t like teaching Reply To: Improving what I don’t like teaching

• Janice Robertson

December 8, 2020 at 10:49 am

To be honest, not a lot. I run into a lot of roadblocks… the secondary data the students would really like… relevant, recent and Canadian is almost always not available. Although stats Canada has some decent data it often doesn’t engage the students as much as I’d hoped.

Getting enough primary data to be significant is also an obstacle because you can’t have three classes of grade eights conducting surveys and hoping that each student is going to answer 90 surveys. So collecting and organizing data has a very phoney feel to it because the sample size is so small. I used to love the census at school activity where the data was pooled into a huge collection and you had the results from all across Canada. I wanted them to expand the questions and they never did.

My students were interested in sleep data specifically regarding Ontario teenagers and transportation data like average length of time on a school bus or in a car or walking to school and how they get to school and even who regularly drives them to school IF they’re driven and how often do they carpool if ever.

Making infographics used to be an engaging activity but now it’s part of grades 6 7 and 8.

Scatterplots are frustrating because you need so much data in order to reliably determine if there is a correlation and again the data that is available isn’t that exciting to a grade 8 students. I don’t want to suck the joy out of data by always forcing it to be tied to geography or some other school subject content.