Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 4-4: Sparking Curiosity & Fuelling Sense Making With Additive Thinking – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 4-4: Sparking Curiosity & Fuelling Sense Making With Additive Thinking – Discussion

• John Sasko

November 30, 2020 at 2:53 pm

I can think of several contexts — using video and the structure of 3-Act Tasks.

This adds some suspense or mystery into the situation, which will be engaging for students. I collaborated on a fraction task using a Cadbury chocolate bar. A colleague made it into a video with his daughters at home, One daughter sneaks into the kitchen and breaks off a chuck of the chocolate bar. Then the younger daughter comes in and does the same. How much is left for Dad when he gets a craving for chocolate and wanders into kitchen?

I think these type of problems work well because there is an action and students can represent that action when they use a model or representation, or when they talk through the symbolic notation they use to represent the situation.

Thanks for making good use of Notice and Wonder and 3-Act task format.