Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Jeanette Cox

November 28, 2020 at 10:27 am

This course has been eye-opening in many ways. As I mentioned in my introduction, my work over the past two years has been devoted to writing math strategies for a program designed to serve the whole child creating teaching effectiveness, efficacy, and equity. Through this process I found the Mathematics Knowledge Network (KNAER) report and cited this in the Background Knowledge portion of Fractions Grades 3-5.

In 2011-12 the KNAER project highlighted five ways of thinking about fractions: as linear measures on a number line, part-whole relationships, part-part relationships, quotients, and operators (fraction as operator, as in 1/5 of 3 affects the ability of students to generalize and to work with unknowns, both of which are fundamental to algebra). Another area of importance is developing the concept of a ‘unit’ fraction to define a fraction. A fraction is considered a multiple of a unit fraction: ‘One one-third and two more one-thirds gives us three one-third units.’

Now I know why this was such an important inclusion. My only regret is that I would have had this course before writing this strategy. Also, I see where you are one of the contributors. No wonder this is outstanding work. https://www.knaer-recrae.ca/index.php/fr/knaer-networks-main/math-network