Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion

• John Sasko

November 24, 2020 at 8:35 am

I am an instructional coach, working mostly with K-5, but some with 6-8.

Proportional reasoning is all about relationships between quantity/magnitude. I see it come to life in real-world scenarios that are interesting to adolescents — in art, fashion, music, etc. It is such an important shift in mathematics — going from “how many” in lower elementary grades, to “how much….(Larger/smaller)” in upper elementary. I remember doing a golden ration activity with teachers in a summer course I was facilitating, and the adults really got into measuring and figuring out what relationship there was between different parts of their bodies. As I watched the group, it reminded me of those times when younger students are curious about exploring the world of mathematics. It was a joyful moment and we need more of those in our math teaching and learning.