Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 5-4: Building Multiplicative Thinking Through Problem Based Lessons – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 5-4: Building Multiplicative Thinking Through Problem Based Lessons – Discussion

• Aaron Davis

November 14, 2020 at 5:04 am

I have used Graham Fletcher’s Seesaw activity: https://gfletchy.com/seesaw/ before in Grade 3. This could be extended to promote multiplicative thinking.

After determining the weight of the girl (60 lbs) is equal to the weight of 12 bricks, I could share with them my weight (rounding up) to 180 lbs, three times the weight of the girl. Then they will have to determine how many bricks that would be.

Maybe it would be best to share how many bricks I weigh first and then they would have to determine my weight? Not sure.

I could then provide weight comparisons to other objects (animals or vehicles) and then the task can be more high ceiling.

The crux of the task though could be to provide them with sentence frames so they can choose 2 objects to compare by making a multiplicative thinking statement.

Keeping it within multiples of 3 and 6 would be helpful then because they can then practice connecting their statements using thirds and sixths (i.e. “The girl is 1 third the weight of Mr. Davis”).