Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    October 28, 2020 at 6:36 pm

I couldn’t agree more that flexible thinking wins every time!

As for suggestions when there are students with big gaps, I think leaning on mathematical strategies and models and helping to emerge them throughout the school year is so important. One way I suggest is to use math talks and in particular a good resource that uses ‘problem strings’ to help address this. The first resource that comes to mind is Cathy Fosnot’s “Minilessons”. For a grade 6 class, starting with the Extending Multiplication and Division minilesson book could be a good fit although some students might benefit from the “Early” version.

This can also involve pulling students for small group instruction to help nudge them further on a one-to-few basis.

It is certainly hard and takes a lot of time and consistency. I think we tend to try to address gaps in small chunks (like once a unit or whatever) and we get down on ourselves when we don’t see progress. It is slow, but only happens with consistency. I bet all students could benefit as well, so don’t think it isn’t a valuable use of time…