Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Jeanette Cox

October 16, 2020 at 1:29 pm

I related to your example of grocery shopping. Yesterday I was looking for Arborio rice and found one container which through “direct” measuring looked bigger than the other container and was more expensive so I naturally thought it contained more but when I picked up the packages their net weight was the same. How my spatial reasoning fooled me. And your example of kindergarteners loving to play in the sand and fill containers reminded me of some research I recently did when writing the background information for geometry in K-2. Here is what quoted:

It is important to note the importance of spatial reasoning. It is recognized beyond the limits of geometry, and the existing literature provides a firm basis for a conclusion that spatial ability and mathematics share cognitive processes beginning early in development (Cheng and Mix, 2014 p. 3; Davis et al. 2015; Jones and Tzekaki 2016; K-12, 2014, p. 3). Spatial reasoning seems to become crucial at the very beginning of math education.