Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion

• Krista-Lynne Edwards

October 4, 2020 at 3:06 pm

I’ve never reflected on what proportional reasoning encompasses in relation to mathematics besides often being a stand-alone unit in specific grades. As a reflect on my own proportional reasoning abilities, I don’t call a time when where I struggled with the multiplicative thinking and was always comfortable with exploring numbers and relationships between them.

As I reflect through my teaching eyes, I see so many students who are afraid to use multiplicative thinking in the math. They get focused on only one way to see it rather than exploring other possibilities and being comfortable with flexibility that can come with numbers.

When I have hit a time crunch with delivering the curriculum to my students (especially my grade 8s) I have asked other teachers which of the remaining units would be most beneficial to our students, and more times that I want to admit, they have stated the stand-alone unit of rates, ratios, and proportional reasoning is a unit that we can skip. I’m know questioning, why they are skipping this as we know our students struggle with the concepts in the following grade that rely on proportional reasoning.

As I move forward with this course, I will be reflecting on the way I want to deliver the my math courses to my students during the next quarters this year.