Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Merryl Polak

July 28, 2020 at 6:50 pm

Years ago I watched a video of Dan Meyer discussing this very topic. After that, Yeap Ban Har came to my district and explained that it was a natural tool for teachers in Singapore to rework problems from the textbook to make them tasks, rather than procedures at the end of a unit. I started dismantling the textbook problems and withholding information and my student’s excitement, anticipation, and engagement definitely increased. Watching this webinar today was such a powerful reminder that this is one of those skills that can still be used, even during this Covid 19 crisis. Thank you for the very necessary reminder! At the very end of the webinar during the Q&A an attendant asked a question I had been wondering about…purposeful practice. Where is this unit of study on hot chocolate you mentioned? Can it be found in the academy? I would really appreciate seeing an example of an entire unit’s compilation that incorporates rich tasks and meaningful practice. To this day, it is one of my continuing challenges and struggles.