Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Heidi Warrington

July 20, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Hi! I’ve been teaching various levels of middle school math for the last 7 years at a private school in northern Virginia. This year, I’ll be teaching 6th grade math, 7th grade Pre-Algebra and 8th grade Geometry, as well as acting as the math “captain” for our school. I received my teaching certification for 7th-12th grade math as well as a masters in secondary education about 25 years ago and I have also briefly taught high school math.

With the time at home this spring due to COVID, I started attending the NCTM online conference sessions (one of which was led by Jon Orr and Kyle Pierce) and really got excited about bringing new ideas into the classroom, as well as learning more about elementary learners so I can better assist our elementary teachers with their math lessons. The major math challenges at our school have been meeting the needs of diverse learners (specifically, tailoring lessons for students with learning disabilities as well as high fliers math) and developing problem solving skills. I just finished the Making Math Moments the Matter Full Workshop and feel like I’m finally realizing how to develop mathematical understanding rather than just teaching skills. I wanted to join the Academy to be able to find other educators who are trying to transform their classrooms, to have a place where I can ask questions and get advice, and to learn more from the courses here as well as other teachers’ experiences. And of course, this year is going to require more flexibility than ever and I want to make sure I have as many resources as possible so I can do the best for my students, whether we are in the classroom (which is my school’s plan for now – we are, thankfully, small!) or doing at home learning.