Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Melanie Hellmann

July 16, 2020 at 11:24 am

Hi everyone, my name is Melanie and I currently reside in North Ogden, Utah. I am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area in California. Right now, it is a great place to be FROM!

I teach 7th grade math in the Ogden School District. This will be my first “full” year teaching this grade. I started February 26th and less than a month later we went virtual. Scream I have yet to teach a full year in the same grade/subject since I have started teaching in Utah. This will be my 3rd year here. I taught 1 year in California.

I joined because my students don’t have questions. They don’t know how to wonder, and I am not sure how to teach them that skill. I also refuse to go back in the fall and lecture for each class wearing a mask! So, I am flipping my classroom. Students will learn at home and apply their knowledge in the classroom. I figure if they are allowed to come back to school and be face-to-face that they will just want to talk, so why not encourage them to talk about MATH! My colleagues don’t see returning the same way I do, so I joined because I need that collaboration piece to figure out how to accomplish this.

I’m looking forward to learning how to make this happen!