Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3: Assessment & Growth Mindset – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 3: Assessment & Growth Mindset – Discussion

• Daniel Whittaker

July 15, 2020 at 1:11 am

I LOVE timed games, I’m good at them. I often give timed quizzes because I’m concerned about using class time to learn new content as well. I need to remove the timing!

Test retakes don’t work… Instead, allow students to re-address specific struggles. Student initiated conversation or presentation to demonstrate their new learning.

“Is this correct?” – Don’t answer! Make them justify their answer. I love doing this.

Focus on Next Steps, NOT Correctness.

Give feedback without a grade! Then, allow them to use your feedback to make corrections.

I’m curious about the idea of simply assigning grades to students without a test or quiz at all, simply based on dialogue and prompts. Many students struggle with tests from the outset. It would be difficult for me to make a shift away from tests, but with the discussion of new ways for students to readdress struggles, would it make sense to simply skipping the test step altogether?