Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Angela Clubb

July 14, 2020 at 12:34 pm

I feel that automaticity and learning how to become an automatic thinker in math is crucial. I can only speak for myself but I don’t feel I really understand beginning math concepts such as the Counting Principles or the difference between automaticity and memorization before taking this (and other math PD). I don’t remember learning this in teacher’s college (I don’t remember learning the fundamentals either). We discuss the fundamentals in PD sessions at school but we don’t break them down and explicitly talk about them either. I don’t know if if no one wants to imply that teachers don’t know something but I’m kind of under the impression that we’re missing the boat because no one has said “Hey, by the way, these ideas about math are super important and this is what we need to be teaching and observing in our students”. We use Lawson’s continuum which has been helpful but I feel that only scratches the surface. Maybe the answer is to have specialized teachers teaching core subjects such as reading, writing, and math. In elementary we often describe ourselves at the “jacks of all trades” but maybe it’s time to make the shift so that we have the time to deeply learn and understand specific areas and do that most of the time, rather than one hour a day?