Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 1: Why Assessment Practices Needed To Change – Discussion Prompt Reply To: Lesson 1: Why Assessment Practices Needed To Change – Discussion Prompt

• Daniel Whittaker

July 13, 2020 at 11:07 pm

Our school is in the process of shifting to Standards Based Gradebooks. We have been in the process for a couple of years and this year the actual change to gradebooks and reporting happens.

I’m nervous about the admin and the process. I’ve seen the merits of SBG for a while and even attempted to implement it in my own classroom on my own. I’m frustrated right now with the requirement that we use the language of the common core in our standards and group grades based on them rather than clear topics.

I’m hoping to find things in this course that will help me to implement things as the school requires, but in a way that is beneficial for the students. I’ve definitely always done most of my grading with tests and quizzes, allowing retakes that only benefit the few students that really push to improve.

I’m also nervous about my colleagues, we are a small school with only 3 of us in the department, and 1 especially can be resistant to change. She has GREAT teaching practices and a lot of experience and knowledge, but our styles sometimes clash.