Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion

• Diane Fortune

July 11, 2020 at 2:44 pm

This will be my 25th year of teacher – 18 of those years have been in First grade but I’ll be looping with my class to virtually teach 2nd grade for this new school year. What I’ve seen is that sometimes, children just seem to “get it” when you ask for things like “equal groups” or comparing sets and others really seem to struggle. We work with hands on manipulatives frequently and still there is often difficulty learning these concepts.

As I listen to the first session, I realize (or rediscover) the importance of intentional use of language to help give words to students’ thinking. It’s all a journey and I’m looking forward to learning how to help my students develop deeper mathematical thinking as a result of this course! Thanks for reminding me that it was available!