Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Luisa de Carteret

July 8, 2020 at 3:07 pm

I am aware of spiraling because I worked for one year at a school that “used” Saxon math. I can see how this would be beneficial for average to struggling students and can help to eliminate the “oh I totally forgot how to do that” comments. Unfortunately, I did not feel comfortable with spiraling yet because 1) it was my first year of teaching, but 2) the students’ previous teachers had seriously neglected to do their job. Due to their lack of background knowledge it did not seem feasible to jump around from topic to topic because often they did not have the prerequisite skills that we would be building on from and we had to do a lot of pivoting to fill in all the gaps.

The point of that aside is to explain my feeling that spiraling can be extremely successful if done over successive years. As a teacher who works with the same students for 6-8 I would be able to make this happen. But I hesitate to implement this for the students in 8th this year who do not like change much and already are a very strong class with things as is. I wonder if/what the varying degrees of implementation are? I also am unsure about the ordering/organizing of lessons because I do think there are some skills/units that need to be mastered before others.

I feel bad that I am not totally on board yet!