Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Erin Wahler-Cleveland

June 23, 2020 at 10:15 am

@claire-beck

Thanks for taking a stab at this, I’ve been thinking a lot about place value as we’ve worked through this workshop and have struggled to envision using the strategies with this topic too, so I’m so glad you started. I wanted to share a few thoughts…

I wonder if what you have for CI could actually be UI… maybe the starting point is that students can show a one, ten, hundred with a concrete model and that the fact that they are different sizes would then be obvious, but they aren’t sure by how much.

Then what you have for CC coul be CI… I’m aware there is a pattern in the changes from one place to the next, but I’m not sure what it is. I might try +9, +90, etc.

CC would then be becoming aware of the pattern of x10 going from one place to the next, maybe by setting up a table and showing the repeated relationship. I’m not totally sure on UC then, but maybe it would be just having internalized the rule with automaticity and not needing to see the pattern to remember it.

Thanks again for posting, this really helped me wrap my mind around what this could look like… let me know what you think!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Jon Orr.