Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Algebra 1 curriculum: more time for reasoning Reply To: Algebra 1 curriculum: more time for reasoning

• Katrien Vance

June 21, 2020 at 11:47 pm

I am amazed that anyone has less math time than we do–I thought our 45 minutes 5 days a week was pretty embarrassing. We’re moving to 60 minutes 5 days a week next year. Can’t wait to see what occurs.

I think it’s well nigh impossible to get to the end of the book. My experience is that Algebra 2 picks up with Quadratics (Ch. 10 in the book I use) and reviews it, so I make sure to get kids there.

BUT saying it that way sounds like we’re plodding through at a steady pace, when in fact I’ve discovered that if I really introduce the curiosity path at the beginning of the year and do activities and investigations and prompts where they are exploring and discovering and playing (and then we consolidate the new vocab, the new concepts, etc., like “Hey, that thing you just did is called ‘combining like terms'”), it will feel like it’s taking a really long time to do the first few units, and then the afterburners kick in, and, because they understood rather than memorized what you did in Sept-Oct-Nov, you suddenly move quickly and efficiently, even as you are still exploring, discovering, etc.