Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Fundamentals of Mathematics 1-5 – Relating Fractions, Decimals, and Percents – Discussion Reply To: 1-5 – Relating Fractions, Decimals, and Percents – Discussion

• Sarah Albert

May 25, 2020 at 1:18 pm

I really liked the way you said that our number system likes things to be in groups of 10 but some fractions are “in between” this place values. Going back with middle schoolers and explaining like this will really help their understanding. Now I need to get my co-teacher in here to see these videos. Hopefully she can find time while you are still doing the free trial.

I also like how you are bringing in the lanuagage history for where these words come from. I always say that cent means 100 so I use that with centimeter and percent and century.

I wonder how many other math words we use all the time can be related like this? It may really help with the acquisition of math vocabulary if we are able to spiral in all this language with its history and roots. I’m sure someone probably already has made a resource like this somewhere.