Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Mary Manske

May 18, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Thanks Kyle–its not a great combo, although one of my key frustrations is that I think we’re so focused on the kids who have sick family members/extra responsibilities that we’re letting the bigger group of kids slide. The majority of my students are fine–bored even–but they can’t figure out how to manage an open day and 20+ emails with various forms of directions.

Your comment about focusing on the kids who ARE engaged makes me feel a lot better–thanks for the help reframing.

Retroactively, my biggest goal during this time was to figure out how to make it approachable and safe to join our class any time without too much confusion or guilt. I think students need a much clearer learning plan to manage all that info (heck, I can barely manage the flood of classroom emails, and half of them are just telling me things I wrote myself posted). I asked admin but their solution involved a form kids could fill out with over 100 fields (seriously)–not really going to be a first step back on the learning train. So we put together a weekly calendar, made it as clear as we could, linked everything and linked previous calendars at the bottom. I even added it to my email signature.

We also kept up with estimation & WODB (regular schedule) and Notice & wonder (content based or when I find a particularly good graph), along with other community building stuff (hazy–coteacher does those–its like foto Friday and such).

I’m going to focus on what I can do to up my asynchronous game for Algebra and see where we go.

My AP Stats class is under enrolled, which happens often and sucks and I’m over it and I have no idea how I’m supposed to get anyone else to take it if we aren’t even at school.

Anyhow, I’m supposed to have goals right?

-Learn how to create Desmos (make my own simple activities, then CL)

-Up my game on creating content from home. I think it helps to see *your* teacher do/explain something, not just *a* teacher. (see my other post–what exactly do I need to do that??)