Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion

• Tania Ash

May 15, 2020 at 3:53 am

I teach 5th grade and proportional reasoning is a big part of what we do, albeit very concretely. According to our standards, the shift from additive thinking to multiplicative thinking begins in 3rd grade. I once was in a PD where the facilitator explained that the shift couldn’t happen before 3rd grade, really, because children aren’t cognitively ready for it. She pointed to Piaget’s literature to support this.

By 5th grade, it’s really obvious when a student is still thinking additively and not multiplicatively and it really holds kids back from some of the work we do. Sometimes I’m not entirely sure how to go back and take them through the shift, and I need to build my repertoire of experiences for early multiplicative thinking.