Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 5: 10 Effective Strategies That Promote Learning Instead Of Labelling – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 5: 10 Effective Strategies That Promote Learning Instead Of Labelling – Discussion

• Amy Kopcznski

April 29, 2020 at 3:25 pm

My biggest takeaway from this was #3: provide opportunities to re-address struggles from tests and quizzes. I think this is the strategy that I have always known was important because math is all about growth and connections, but never got quite right as a teacher. It was always a vicious cycle because I made it too difficult to keep up with and so I would get frustrated, give up, come back to, get frustrated, come back to…on and on and on. This strategy gave me a new perspective on what is important when reassessing and that is what is always most important, the students and their needs. I do not have to keep creating tests for them to retake if the focus is on the student’s area of struggle. Taking it one step at a time instead of recreating the assessment experience over and over again.

Many of our students are multiple grade levels behind and have significant gaps in their learning. My wonder is where do we start with students with huge gaps in learning? Do you focus on the grade level content or go back as you try to move forward?