Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Michelle Nauman-Dicken

April 29, 2020 at 12:51 pm

I have often been frustrated by how quickly students forget concepts that they have “mastered” based on a topic assessment. I’ve done various things in class to keep students practicing topics, (10 question drills, adding looped problems to their daily practice of current topics) but never with consistency nor could I justify spending the time on these activities when I would look at everything I “had to teach” in the course of a year. I also struggled with how to include the assessment of this spiraling in the gradebook. Grading and reporting out student “achievement” based on standards never felt comletely accurate. I often felt the grades I reported for many students that “mastered” a standard were misleading because I knew given a similar task a month later would cause many to struggle even though they had “mastered” that standard according to their grades in the gradebook. The idea that a test is really an opportunity to access stored knowledge is mindblowing for me. I talk so much with my students about connections in our brains. I make them put their hands on their heads to “wake up” stored knoweldge and constanlty ask them to look for patterns or information in problems that might help them problem solve based on something they see that triggers a concept they may have learned before. It gives me legs to defend spiraling and now has me questioning what I want to include in my gradebook.