Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Terri Eller

April 12, 2020 at 7:14 pm

My big take away is how important/powerful using models can be. In our particular curriculum we use MANY different models to help students with fractions. We use fraction tiles, numberlines, geoboards, clocks, a hundred square, a ten frame and an egg carton model all as ways for students to model and partition fractions. This leads me to my wonder–or what I feel that I’m still struggling with. How do I make sure that students are actually UNDERSTANDING how to use the models and not just memorizing procedurally how to make it work for them (if that makes sense) and also how do I help students make connections between the different models and know what models work best in what situations. This year we noticed and wondered the different models that we used and we took time to compare then and talk about them–but again, it’s the consolidation piece or the purposeful practice piece that I felt like was missing in the curriculum. How do I provide opportunities for students to use the models to help them solve problems. I felt like all of these models were presented in isolation and I’m not sure that my students ever really became confident in a way to use them for example when it came to comparing fractions. How do I make sure my students have the practice they need to be able to compare fractions while emphasizing the exploration of these models.