Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Christle Johnston

April 11, 2020 at 3:01 am

I am so excited to hear about spiraling again. When I was student teaching 18 years ago, we were using a math program (I believe it was Saxon?) that spiraled. I absolutely loved this way of teaching math and I just thought that was how math was taught. As the years have gone on, I have become more and more frustrated with the math programs that are out there and how much they only teach using blocking, rather than spiraling. They also rely so much on test taking as a way to know if a student has mastered a concept. However, being a special education teacher, I promise you this is not an ideal way to teach. My student work so hard to try to understand a concept for test day and then the second a new concept is taught that are unable to recall most of the preivously taught information. They are definietly not learning through wondre and curiosity. They are just trying to survive and move concept to concept. I see this with both special education and general education students. They definitely are only developing that surface level learning in most cases. Often times when I ask a student to recall a previously taught skills, they will act as if I am speaking a foreign language. Usually after some reteaching the skill starts to come back, but imagine how powerful that would be if that skill was revisited over and over again every 3-5 days. I’m so excited to think there’s a possibility that more spiraling may be occuring in the future and that more of these kids may have a shot at being successful with math.