Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• George Garza

April 11, 2020 at 1:06 am

I’ll echo the others. They need time to take a novel idea and play with it in different situations and contexts. If your curriculum does this, and you think the kids still aren’t getting it, are you making sure they are reflecting on their learning?

“We do not learn from experience, we learn from reflecting on experience.” – John Dewey (probably) I always take the last 5 minutes of class and have my kids write a reflection on what they did for the day, along with an exit ticket problem. I skim these quickly during break or lunch, and it gives my great feedback about where my kids are with their thinking and if they really get it or not.

If the kids seem to get it, but are forgeting it, that’s where spiralling comes in. It could be spiralling homework, or spiralling your curriculum. I spiral in my bellringer, first 5 minutes of class, they are working on old material, a variety of it from throughout this semester and the last one too.

If the kids aren’t truly getting it, you need to trouble shoot why. Maybe they do need that extra time playing with the concepts. Maybe the tasks aren’t cutting it at all. I’m not a big believer in assigning a set amount of problems for rote practice, but I do ackowledge that you need to play with an idea to really own it. I also know that the amount of practicing a skill or idea required varies from kid to kid.