Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Engaging students with rich math activities while teaching online Reply To: Engaging students with rich math activities while teaching online

• George Garza

April 10, 2020 at 11:14 pm

I haven’t done it yet, but I’ve been thinking that using zoom and it’s breakout room feature would be a good way to replicate a classroom and small group environment capable of allowing a 3-act math task to be facilitated. The learners could do their work on a common google slides, which would allow realtime collaboration, and you, as the learning facilitator, could rearrange the slides for the sequencing and consolodation step at the end. Google has a ton of tools for facilitating collaboration. I hope this makes sense. The idea just occured to me as I was going through the workshop, so it needs fleshing out, but it would allow the collaboration within a small group context, where you can just check in on a few learners at a time, allow you to address the whole group at the same time, and allow the kids to show each other their thinking.