Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Susan Eaton

April 9, 2020 at 9:17 pm

One big takeaway from the modules is the importance of sparking curiosity in students. I also have learned that I do not have to implement everything at once. I liked the module on assessment as this is an area where I need to grow anyway. The one starter strategy that I think is most helpful for me is to find a buddy. Since I am a special education teacher who pushes in to the general education classroom, I can observe and collaborate with general education teachers to practice making math more meaningful for students. I also really want to switch over to withholding information to provide opportunities for my students to notice and wonder. It was comforting to see that my efforts to build relationships with my students will help with introducing this new way of teaching. Also, I like the idea of doing “think back Thursdays” to keep concepts fresh in students’ minds. I think the most difficult part for me may be spiraling, though I think I can manage spiraling once concept throughout the year and adding to it as I gain confidence. Overall, I feel like the tools and strategies from this course have made be more reflective and I am excited to apply what I have learned.