Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Susan Eaton

April 9, 2020 at 3:43 pm

These stages made me think about the different ways my own children (14, 15, and 19) relate to math. For my older two children, math comes pretty easy to them and it seems that they move to the 4<sup>th</sup> and 5<sup>th</sup> stages pretty quickly. However, my youngest struggles much more with new math concepts. A few weeks ago, she was becoming frustrated with her math assignment. Her older brother tried to help her, but his explanation was a little too complex. I tried helping her, but it was something I was not familiar with. She and I watched a few videos on it and we began to understand the basic concept, but not the broader concept. My oldest then joined us and explained a little further how the process worked. At that point in our learning, my daughter and I were able to ask more specific questions on what we did not understand. Even though we had a better understanding, were still probably at the second stage. Later, my middle son asked why his explanation didn’t help his sister, but that his older brother and I were able to help. What I realized and shared with him was that her stress level came down and she was more comfortable with not understanding when there was someone learning with her and she was able to work through the learning at her own pace. I realize now how important it is to evaluate where students are in the stages of mastery in order to adequately support them.