Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Amy Kopcznski

April 8, 2020 at 3:06 pm

I loved the Peter Liljedahl quote and the area example that you provided for how to turn an average, basic problem into something that allows for exploration and discovery. Any student, regardless of where they are on their learning path, would be able to find success with that area problem because they are given the freedom to approach it as they see it. In reflecting back on my lesson planning process, I think I do a good job at answering the question “What do I need my students to know in order to be successful with this standard?” and then I take a wrong turn. I then think about how I can give that information to my students, thereby forcing them into my way of thinking and reasoning. I think a better lesson planning process is to anticipate where the gaps may arise in a standard and how I can provide learning moments for them to move forward in their ability to think and reason about math.

One question I pondering is this: How do you know if the struggle that is occuring is productive and what level of frustration do you allow before intervening?