Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Building Resilient Problem Solvers How Avoiding The Rush To The Algorithm Can Build Resilient Problem Solvers – Discussion Reply To: How Avoiding The Rush To The Algorithm Can Build Resilient Problem Solvers – Discussion

• Amy Kopcznski

April 3, 2020 at 1:44 pm

My biggest take away from this lesson is the coffee pot analogy. We as teachers are always trying to help our students and we sometimes confuse helping with giving too much. We are actually hurting them by robbing them the opportunity to learn and make connections. I think I have always equated giving the algorithm as teachers trying to help students but have never thought of it in terms of them helping themselves. I think this makes a valid point.

As an instructional coach, I am wondering how I can help other teachers see that we are not helping students when we give the algorithm too quickly in a manner that would make it meaningful to them. I could come right out and say it, but then I would be giving them the “rule” too quickly also.