Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Building Resilient Problem Solvers How To Make Math Moments That Matter Everyday In Your Math Class – Discussion Reply To: How To Make Math Moments That Matter Everyday In Your Math Class – Discussion

• Amy Kopcznski

April 2, 2020 at 12:37 pm

My big take away from this particular lesson is noticing the differences and similarities between the Chocolate Mania task and “normal” textbook problems. They both have a mathematical problem for students to solve but this task does not explicity state the problem. Through the process of notice and wonder students will have the opportunity to feel empowered at creating the math problem to be solved versus being given one from the teacher or a textbook. Traditional math classrooms will normally give students an example problem with a procedure for solving it and then ask students to replicate that procedure with a similar problem. This task is asking students to dive right in and use their mathematical knowledge to think and reason their way through the problem.

One question I have is this: How do you set the stage for your students to be able to use estimation in a way that will propel them in their mathematical thinking? I have tried using Estimation 180 in the past and when I asked students for estimations that are too low and too high I was given ridiculous numbers like 10,000,000,000,000 or -58. This told me I was not doing something I should be doing to allow them to properly benefit from using estimation.