Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Shawn Hershey

March 31, 2020 at 7:40 am

What I love about you and Jon is that you look at mathematics as a big web of interconnected ideas that students can use to get to the end point. This lesson in particular highlights how my thinking has evolved over the last two years since I have found you guys on twitter and through the academy. When we rush to algorithms we actually take away the sense making and math becomes a linear progression like a chain and once a link is broken in a chain they are stuck and cannot advance. However, when we teach how all of the concepts are interconnected, and yes there are more efficient ways of completing tasks, we build tools (models) that connect together like a web, that lead to alternate paths that get a child to develop reasoning and accuracy. I actually am working on a keynote that explains this more that I would like to share to get your thoughts on and if the community feels I am accurate or not, but module 3 definitely highlights the work we need to do and why before we set up a proportion and cross multiply. Thank Kyle for putting this together. It is a lot to absorb and process.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Shawn Hershey.