Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 4 – 6: What Should I Consider When Planning To Spiral? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 4 – 6: What Should I Consider When Planning To Spiral? – Discussion

• Alexa Klein

March 26, 2020 at 2:09 pm

I’ve been thinking about spiralling for a few years now. I love the idea of it, but have not been able to find the time to implement it/plan my course around it. With the current model of distance learning we’ve moved towards in Manitoba, I’m hoping to use this time to plan my courses to spiral.

One thing I am wondering is how to provide notes for students that are organized so they have what to refer back to? Currently I’m “that teacher” who teaches in units. I give the students a booklet with note templates for each unit where they fill in notes and examples. I do however incorporate reachback questions daily to review past concepts. With my current model of teaching, if students are unsure of how to solve a problem or of steps, they can easily find it again in their booklet for that particular unit. What do you recommend in terms of how to provide students with an organized tool/place to keep their notes and examples? I’ve used a legal sized piece of paper folded into sections before for them to put important examples/notes for each unit, but how do we move away from this when spiralling, yet still provide them with a good resource to reference?