Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class What Is Spiralling Math Class and Why Should I Do It? – Discussion Reply To: What Is Spiralling Math Class and Why Should I Do It? – Discussion

• Victoria Murphy

March 24, 2020 at 11:10 am

I think that I have been in a bit of a bubble. I have been teaching for 26 years and we have always said…spiraling already happens in math. Example…fractions – taught in grades 3 and 4 – multiply them in grade 5 – divide them in grade 6….but that isn’t spiraling. I also have colleagues that are not open to change and so, this is going to be a big step and a bit lonely for me when I begin this. I do think it is important. I think it is what I have been looking for for many years. I have begrudgingly begin grade 6 curriculum with operations — of whole numbers, fractions and decimals. Truthfully, I hate it. It is BORING! and the kids don’t seem to retain it, just like in the video. But, if next year, I take a different approach and tie it into the other strands and give it some meaning, they will probably retain it better and I will begin to love the beginning of the year curriculum better, because I LOVE the rest of the year with geometry, data, ratios/percents, and expressions and equations. Can’t wait to get started!