Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Victoria Murphy

March 23, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Hello from the Boston area,

My name is Victoria Murphy and I teach 6th grade math in a middle school. I have been trying to catch up on the podcasts the last couple of months as I just stumbled upon it one day as I was researching math workshops. I am currently finishing my 26th year and we have moved from a homogeneous grouping (an accelerated class and grade level class) to all 6th graders in heteorgenous math classes. As I have been listening, I am loving the idea of giving a grappling problem at the beginning of the lesson and see what happens. :). Then take their answers to lead them to the math I need to teach. I was recently listening to spiraling and am curious about how to spiral within the 6th grade curriculum.

Now though, as we get into this new territory, I am also looking at how to possibly be teaching with distance learning. We are currently only closed until April 7th but anticipate being out longer.

Thank you for allowing me to join your community to work on some of my own learning while we have some open time. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.