Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Marlena Rainey

March 17, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Hello there,

My name is Marlena Rainey I am a 5th grade, Math teacher in Indiana. I have been teaching for 8 years. I have taught in two school districts both being low income and urban areas. I love teaching even though sometimes I might forget that. Lately I was asked my “Why”, “Why am I a teacher?” You see, I have always wanted to be a teacher. If it wasn’t my stuffies I was teaching I was locking my sibilings in our playroom to play school with me. I have always thought teaching was the best job ever. As I was growing up I had the opportunity to be in many schools, my single mother moved us around a lot. Seeing the inside of 22 different elementary school classrooms from K-8th grade really shaped me. I know what it is like to be the new kid and all too well I know what it is like to be the new kid and somehow I skipped too much information and felt lost and confused in Math class. I want to be a sense of relief to my kiddos when they walk in my room. I want them to be able to come in at any level and feel success and most importantly safe to learn. I joined Making Math Moments Academy to help refill my toolbox. I am greatful for this new resource!