Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Gabrielle Bertrand

March 17, 2020 at 10:13 am

Greetings and Salutations!

My name is Gabrielle Bertrand, and I teach 6th math in Kittery, Maine. I am coming full circle to teaching math again after starting out 17 years ago teaching math and science on an alternative ed team, then case managing for kids with emotional disturance 4-8, and then teaching 5th grade LA/SS/Reading. Teaching math NOW though is totally different, and I am loving the change in the approach–it was something that I defintely felt was missing while teaching math in my “former” life. My hope is that my students believe that I am competent to teach math (after pouring my heart into LA and SS:) and that they trust that the no worksheet, productive struggle, “representation that with a picture or model” approach is actually teaching them math!! (Because after the traditional rules based approach, they [and parents!] are skeptical!!)

My big goal with this academy is to learn ways to help kids gain meaningful practice of the concepts that we work so hard in class to build! Thank you for this opportunity!!

Together in learning,

g