Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Robin Bott

February 3, 2020 at 7:08 pm

I used this task today with my 6th graders in a 40 minute class period.  The kids had fun with the notice and wonders.  I was really curious to see what they would do during the modeling phase when they were trying to show their thinking for how many scoops would be in 8 glasses.  In all 3 of my classes we uncovered most of the strategies you anticipated.  The one nobody used was the double number line.  When I introduced that as another type of model they might find useful, it sparked lots of conversation about how similar it is to a ratio table.  Then we were able to talk about how it may be easier to see in between quantities with this type of model.  Right at the end of the hour (40 minutes), I showed them the question about how many glasses could be made from 55 scoops.  The room exploded with chatter about ideas to solve it.  After a minute (literally), I made sure they knew it was not asking how many scoops would be in 55 cups.  That was met with a few aha’s, but still some kids were solving THAT problem.  We left it as a discussion for the beginning of the hour tomorrow.  The kids are so excited to share their thinking about the problem.  I can’t wait to see what they come up with.