Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    February 1, 2020 at 9:08 am

Hi @robin-bott

This is such a great question as it is a challenge for so many. In a perfect world, I think am a math block is 100 minutes. I come from the secondary side of things where our classes were 75 minutes.

Ironically, during my first 8 or so years teaching, 75 minutes felt like an eternity because all we were doing was memorizing steps and procedures. Now, I constantly find myself pressed for time when I am teaching a lesson in a high school classroom as I have gained comfort with the 100 minutes we have in most of our elementary math classes. 

If I had a 50 minute block each day, I think I would treat the “ideal math block” as two parts. This means that math talks might not happen every day, but maybe only twice a week. 

As for the tasks, my perspective has shifted significantly from the belief that a curious task needs to be “completed” within one class. Now, I see that stretching those contextual situations for multiple days is a HUGE asset. So stretching a task over two days is not a bad thing at all.

I’d encourage you to check out the “Hot Chocolate Unit” we now have up in the Curiosity Task Tool area to see what I mean by stretching a context. 

Let me know your thoughts!