Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Assessments- trying to do standards based in a traditional grade system Reply To: Assessments- trying to do standards based in a traditional grade system

• Jon

Administrator
    January 5, 2020 at 8:24 am

Hey @Robinbergen

You’re not alone here. This is a big concern for a lot of us. 

I think being concerned of pushback is valid and should not be taken lightly. But, what I’ve found is that parents and kids may pushback if they feel that they are not supported or getting the feedback they need to feel safe and on track. So the idea is, how can we make students feel supported while pushing their learning forward? 

They need clear next steps and they also need to feel that completing those next steps is worth it. 

In my class I record the grade that a student received on a learning goal, but do not necessarily write it on their paper. I’ve noticed the same thing as you. Students will stop once they see the grade. I’ve been only writing grades that meet the expectations on their paper. If a student doesn’t meet the expectations they are to hand it back in with corrections. 

Students & parents can see their progress on their learning goals at any time and they can choose to work towards improving that progress at any time. I think this openness to improving at anytime has allowed my students to feel supported while pushing their learning forward — > which for me has not resulted in any pushback. 

You can learn more about how I track that progress here: http://mrorr-isageek.com/assessment-in-mfm1p-update/ 

I’m working on the Assessment For Growth Mini Course and will include more specifics when more modules get released. 

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Jon Orr.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Jon Orr.

Assessment For Growth