Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 4 – 8: How Can I Help Struggling Students? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 4 – 8: How Can I Help Struggling Students? – Discussion

• Katrien Vance

December 10, 2019 at 5:45 am

OK, so I’m having the realization that what I want to do this year is not actually spiraling, although it has qualities of spiraling. I still want to group activities together under a theme, but 1) the group of activities is going to hit many different kinds of math (or strands), and 2) the strand is not finished just because the group of activities wraps up. But when I hear you guys talk about just doing task after task with no real plan (at the beginning of your trying this), that gives me the willies! I am too much of a planner. I need my groups of tasks to have some kind of unifying theme. Maybe this is my baby step on the way to spiraling.

I LOVE the admission that your “scattershot” approach seemed to make no (negative) difference to your students–that rings so true. I have brilliant days, and I have “phone it in” days, and I look around and realize, the students can’t really tell the difference. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?? It’s certainly a humbling thing!