Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Mary Manske

December 2, 2019 at 6:58 pm

New Goals 

A. Student Discussion and Stand and Talks. This is working but I need to be more intentional. I will carve out some time these week and make a bank of problems that I can pull into easily. 

B. I will revise the rate units that comes next. 

C. I will work with my team on choosing & using tasks, focusing especially on Anticipatory work. CC and I will try to get together to do some more focused work on this. 

D. Make a more final decision around where I want to start in terms of: spiraling (within units for now), learning goals (with multiple levels) or grading differently.

Responses to the goal list above:

1. My team is currently focusing on Anticipatory work. I’m going to let that do it for this one for now.

2. I need to make notecards or something. I think if I had banks of both number talks and stand & talks to draw from, I would do a little better at making them regular practice. My goal is to do a stand & talk at least once a week.

3. Work on our rates unit which starts Friday. Had a great meeting with my coteacher last Wednesday and met with my team today. Time to start pulling out pieces and figuring out where they go. I think we did a pretty good job of this with equations–and we gave a quiz last Wednesday that had great scores, especially in the morning class. My best friend, who teaches linearly, did not have nearly as good of results, so hopefully those are connected.

4. This is basically 2.

5. This is 1

6. Trying to schedule something for winter break for us to just have some time to discuss and plan.

7 & 8. Learning Goals and SBG–I think these fall in somewhat with mixing everything together more. I’m focusing on mixing & spiraling more first, but I’m not sure if that’s the right choice.

9. I think I’ve got this one for now at least.