Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Essential Understandings Reply To: Essential Understandings

• Karen Coty

December 2, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Hi Robin ( @robin-bott ), I’m a 6th grade math teacher as well, and understand your concern.  It is very difficult to get to all of the content standards in a school year, much less have students gain a deep understanding.  I plan on trying to spiral the curriculum for the rest of this year and all of next year.  I think spiraling will give time to move from a basic understanding to a deeper understanding later in the year.  I also think that finding connections in the curriculum will help as well.  Teaching in “silos” is too cut up and time consuming.  For example, I think teaching properties of operations including the distributive property should come when we are teaching multi-digit multiplication and division, instead of waiting until we teach “expressions and equations”.  Whatever I do, I always find that I am either cramming our data standards in at the last minute or not getting to them before the standardized test.

I would really love to hear what you’re thinking of doing, and of any successes you’re having! I will be happy to do the same. 🙂 

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  Jon Orr.