Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself Equity gap? How do we include ALL parents without overloading teachers? Reply To: Equity gap? How do we include ALL parents without overloading teachers?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    November 6, 2019 at 6:42 pm

Hi Chelsea,

So glad to hear the episode resonated with you! We really enjoyed chatting With Hilary and Matthew!

Your question is a good one and I don’t know if there is a simple answer.

One thing we’ve done at some schools in my district is do “during school” math days which can be helpful for avoiding overworking teachers who are already overburdened. This can be a good strategy, but it might not be helpful for avoiding the equity gap piece.

One school in a low socioeconomic area of our district did a “bring your parents to math class” day on their professional development day and they had the biggest turn out they’ve ever had. A few factors we believe had an influence here:

1. students weren’t supposed to come to school that day, so they’d have to be in daycare / taken care of by a family member / etc. so it provided something for the families to do on the day off of school.

2. they did a free lunch for the families. They believe this was a big influence since many families struggle to get by, so to get their entire family a free meal is one big bonus.

I don’t know if these will be helpful, but just something to think about!!