Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Let's Talk about "Math Recess" by Singh and Brownell (2019) Reply To: Let's Talk about "Math Recess" by Singh and Brownell (2019)

• Robin Dubiel

August 31, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Wow! Brigitta, thank you SO much for sharing such awesome tasks/ideas!  I will not be in my own classroom this year as my role has changed, but I intend on sharing these ideas with the teachers with whom I will be working.

Now, I haven’t been logged into the Academy for a LONG time.  My summer seemed to fly by, and I spent a great deal of late July and August in the great outdoors (sans computer).  But I did finish Math Recess and actually connected with Sunil Singh and Chris Brownell on Twitter a few times – such passionate Math educators!

A couple things I wanted to discuss:

1.  I wish the commercial “Albert’s Insomnia” game was a bit less pricey. We have played a few rounds of Prime Climb this summer – if you have not played this, please give it a try!  It’s a stellar game for exploring understanding about prime numbers but also practicing +/-/x/division facts.  For me, know about prime numbers was practical and just part of what you learned in math (as in, who cares?).  This has totally changed!

2. I highlighted the part on p. 132 where they talked about “These are not ‘have to’ rules; they are just conventions we have adopted.”  How might we best share this in a way that promotes curiousity and the “okay-ness” of exploring many ways to think about math?  They use this question: “How can you move away from presenting math as only a rigid, authoritative set of rules?” (p. 170)

3. I could go on quite extensively about all the “math” I learned in Chapter 8.  I have never heard of Abundant Numbers (p. 183), Circular Primes, Deficient Numbers… and it all seems so darn fun now. Lol!

4. I think my very, very favourite part of this whole book was this: “Kids need to explore mathematics, and we, the math educators, have to explore what they get to explore.  This is a tremendous but rewarding responsibility.”  (p.208) We are the models of growth mindset, stepping outside the box, struggling with the unknown, and still having FUN!

Again, thanks for your patience with my lack of presence.  Any ideas on what we could read next?  Grinning